Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July!




















I just thought on this, our nation's birthday, I would reflect on the meaning of Independence and what has been sacrificed to keep our country free. In 1776 our founding father's signed a piece of paper that was a reflection of their opinions regarding the rights of individuals that has changed the shape of the world. My ancestors fought in the War of Independence, allowing me to have the right of representation.

More recently, my grandfather's on both sides, participated in World War II. It hurts me to see individuals disrespect the flag because when I see the Stars and Stripes flying it is not just a piece of fabric but a representation of all that has been sacrificed for me. Today we have soldiers who are celebrating the fourth far from home to keep my rights in place, my thoughts and prayers go out their families and my heartfelt thanks go to those who are far from their loved ones so that I can be with mine.

So as we spend time with our families and hit the great sales I hope we can pause and remember why we celebrate this day. Not forgetting those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, their lives, so that we don't have to.

4 comments:

Tiffini said...

I love the quote you have on your sidebar it fits you to a tee!!!!!!!!

easleyfamily said...

You said it sista!

Melissa said...

Hey Jessica! It has been soooooooo long! I found you on someones face book or something. Anyways, it was good to see what you've been up to. Good luck with your goals!

Karen Dick said...

Love your blog Jessica, it's gorgeous. Send me your email address at mahenkaren@gmail.com and I'll invite you to mine.