Thursday, October 29, 2009

Things I have learned since moving to the desert


We have been living in the desert for a couple of months now and I thought I would share some of the things I have learned since moving here. In the desert they try to save the large cacti. When I first moved here I thought the braces we saw were because they had just planted the cactus and were trying to get them "take". Wrong, the large cacti are over a hundred years old and they are trying to save them. The holes in the top are from birds who make their homes in the cactus. I have been told that every foot equals ten years and each arm adds another ten years each.

Grass is seasonal. During the hot summer months everyone grows crab grass (as it is about the only thing that will grow) and when it cools down everyone tears the crab grass out and puts in nice grass for the winter spring. Very weird!

60 degrees is cold. When it cools down to the 60s everyone pulls out coats and starts complaining about how cold it is! It makes me laugh right now but I am sure by this time next year I will be just like them. :)

3 comments:

Haven said...

You should suggest they try pruning the cacti. That way they won't be so top-heavy! ;)

Kim said...

Very interesting...

Thanks for posting about Kalin!
Have a great day!

Dacia said...

Who knew? The grass thing is so weird! I hate crab grass.