Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving Kick-Off

We started the tradition about one year after we moved to Salt Lake City of having a Thanksgiving Kick-Off Meal about two weeks before Thanksgiving. It started because I wanted to cook the full meal and, at the time, mom was doing all the cooking and I was only occasionally helping. (It was good practice for me, once mom got sick with her cancer I have been cooking the meal for my family.) We invited the few friends we had in Salt Lake over to eat with us and a tradition was born. I love it because I get to eat all my favorite foods twice and I have found that I gorge myself less because I know that I am getting all my favorite things more than once. This year Colby's brother, Lyman, and his wife, Kim, held the dinner at their house. Bentley, their cute son, LOVES shoes. He got a hold of my high heels and kept walking around the house with them on. The food was fabulous.!
I forgot to post one of my absolute favorite Thanksgiving recipes. Thanks to Dacia for reminding me. My grandmother Schmutz used to make this every year for Thanksgiving and we learned quickly to grab some before Danielle's husband, Jason, came through the line because regardless of how much was left he would take it all. :)

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (sweet potatoes are yellow and yams are orange, it must be sweet potatoes)
2 eggs (well beaten)

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

-Beat together sweet potatoes until mashed. Add rest of ingredients. Spread topping and bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.


Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour

1/3 butter (melted)

1 cup finely chopped pecans

-Mix together until crumbly

Nothing about this casserole is healthy but it is one of the best foods I have ever eaten!


5 comments:

beth said...

That casserole looks so good!
We are probably going to have an early Thanksgiving dinner this year too since we will be flying to Florida on the real Thanksgiving.

Tiffini said...

Sounds like a fun idea to bad I don't have any friends here to do that with :( I'm hungry for thanksgiving now thanks.

Haven said...

It sounds yummy! I wish we lived in SLC so we could participate. BUT this year I'm making my mom's yam and apple casserole at J's family shindig. That means I've graduated from the kiddie table of bring cans for the relish tray! YAY! I'm finally an adult! rofl

erika said...

Ha, Ha, that is so funny - I was asked to bring the relish tray to the Squire Thanksgiving last year!!

easleyfamily said...

Thanks for posting grandmas casserole. I also love making her fruit salad with pomegranits!