Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

I just wanted to take a second and remember the reason for Veteran's Day. Some of my earliest memories are of Mom keeping us out of school so we could go to St. George and watch Grandpa McArthur march in the parades with the rest of the veterans. I was always so proud to see him in his uniform with all his medals across his chest. I also gained a greater appreciation for my freedoms from listening to his stories about being on the frontline during the European Campaign during WWII. I am also grateful for my McArthur ancestors who fought in the American Revolution.
Colby and I were lucky enough to be able to visit several of the memorials that are located in Washington DC. The above photo is the WWII Memorial located on the Mall of America. I was so glad that they finally have a memorial to recognize all the sacrifices made by those who fought in WWII.

We also saw the Korean War Memorial, which was incredible and really hit home because Grandpa Squire was a part of that military campaign.
We also visited Arlington National Cemetery. It was humbling to see all those who fought to keep our country free. We also saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I am so grateful for all those who have fought and continue to fight to ensure my freedoms. I am also grateful for all the families of those who fight and the sacrifices they make to ensure our freedoms. Finally, my thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost family members in the Fort Hood shooting last week.

1 comment:

Alexisnexus said...

Honoring our Veterans and their Ancestors:

Veterans Day Ancestors-at-a-glance™

http://familyforest.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/veterans-day-ancestors-at-a-glance%e2%84%a2/

Excerpt:
Kristine’s Uncle Donald was killed in action early in World War II and the USS Spangler was named in his honor. [..