Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Happy Place

My reward to myself for sitting through the graduation ceremonies (have knitting, will travel) was to spend Friday on the lake. Right after we got there, this cute family of ducks came up to the boat begging food, I love how the mom is carrying the baby on her back. All my life, whenever anyone has said, "go to your happy place", I have pictured myself sitting in the bow of the boat, cruising across the lake. I don't have to get into the water or participate in the water sports to have a good time, I just like to be in the boat. I love the feel of the wind rushing through my hair and the sound of the water hitting the boat. As a general rule, and those of you who know me well can attest, I like to be productive and rarely sit without some kind of project in my hands, but there is something so calming about the lake that I feel at peace just riding around.
I spent the winter months lifting weights and working hard at the gym, determined to slalom ski this summer. (For those you non-boating types, that is one ski.) Due to the happy pounds I have put on since my marriage to Colby (thanks honey) I haven't been able to ski since my engagement (too fat to pull myself up). The big day arrived and I eagerly jumped in the water, determined to fulfill my goal. After the seventh power flush of my sinuses, I decided that almost getting up was good enough and next time I will really be able to ski.
I thought about lying and saying that this photo is of me skiing (can you tell who it is?) but dad and Colby would have ousted me. This is dad, looking incredibly graceful on the water, like usual.
Jillian came with us and had a good time (Jordanne was still recovering from staying up all night partying at grad night) but she wasn't allowed to sit next to me because she is too cute and tan. :)

1 comment:

Dacia said...

Me too! My happy place is sitting in the bow of a boat as it's just being launched in the water. I love the breeze on my face, the smell in the air, and the warm sun. I love when I finally get so hot that I HAVE to jump in. I love it!