Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It lives!!

We were given a daybed from my sister right after we moved out of our first teenie one-bedroom apartment. She wasn't the first owner but beggars can't be choosers and I am grateful to have a spare bed for guests. I have to admit that I haven't loved it since we were given it and have spent the last seven years looking for a replacement that I can afford. I finally realized that I can't afford what I want (I know, sometimes I struggle) so before we move I decided to refinish the daybed and hopefully make it look better. (I know you are all saying, "But Jessica, the tacky 80's brass is so attractive!") I took off the really tacky large broken round brass knobs (think Bedknobs and Broomsticks on steroids) before I remembered to take the before photo. With a little bit of sanding, filling in the knob holes, and several layers of paint it looks like a completely new bed.
Of course, no project that I ever undertake ever goes as easily as I anticipate. After getting it all painted, Colby and I started to put it back together and left a black mark on the wall. This required another trip to Home Depot and a lacquer layer but I am very pleased with how good it looks. This was my first refinishing project.

6 comments:

Abigail said...

It's beautiful!

beth said...

Wow - it looks amazing! Great work!

Tiffini said...

Looks great!! I love turning old things new!

Haven said...

It looks really nice!

Hillary said...

It's actually quite beautiful. Wanna help me with my kitchen table and chairs?

Emlyn said...

It does look good! Good job!